Monday, April 2, 2012

Letting Go

One story that really stuck with me from CGI U was told by President Clinton about his interaction with Nelson Mandela. Here it is (in my own words)...


Mandela is famous for his 27 year long imprisonment when charged with sabotage and attempts to overthrow the government. President Clinton described Mandela's release from prison on February 11th, 1990, and how Mandela's walk down the long dusty road to freedom was broadcasted over the television. Mandela went on to become president of South Africa and later became good friends with Clinton. Clinton recalls a conversation with Mandela in which he said 'I can't help but wonder how you felt walking down that road away from the prison. You must have been relieved, but weren't you a little mad?' In response to this Mandela replied "of course I was mad! But I also realized that if I was going to continue my life being angry with the people responsible for those 27 years, then I would still be their prisoner. So I walked down that road and into that car and I was free."



No comments:

Post a Comment